The Met Gala is an annual event that raises money for the Costume Institution at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The theme this year, “Camp: Notes On Fashion” curated by Andrew Bolton is inspired by Susan Sontag’s 1964 essay “Notes On Camp”. Based on Sontag, “the essence of Camp is its love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration”.
The fashion extravaganza that took place at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York was co-chaired by Harry Styles, Lady Gaga, Serena Williams, Michele & Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour.
1. Lady Gaga‘s opening for Met Gala 2019 set the bar high, with a total of 4 outfits change on the red carpet. Gaga shed her hot pink Brandon Maxwell gown on the red carpet to reveal a strapless black gown by the designer.
Next was a tight-fitting retro look in a hot pink gown. Finally, she shed all of her clothes, leaving only a black bra, panties & platform boots.
2. Harry Styles actually wore a see through Gucci ensemble, displaying all his intricate tattoos underneath the sheer fabric. He even painted his fingernails black for the occasion.
The singer, who was a co-chairman for the annual Met Gala Styles arrived on the red carpet, accompanied by Gucci’s creative director Alessandro Michele who wore a bright pink ruffled top in a satin material.
View this post on Instagram
So Harry’s look for the #metgala last night was a dream! He looked incredible and happy and in his element. I will draw the full outfit eventually but here’s the hands for a start 🖤 . . . . #illustration #digitalillustration #artistsoninstagram #artistsofinstagram #dailyart #procreate #procreatedrawing #procreateillustration #ipaddrawing #ipadillustration #illustratorsofinstagram #illustratorsoninstagram #harrystyles #harrylambert #metgala2019
3. Cardi B‘s Met Gala Look Featured $250,000 worth of rubies, the result of a collaboration with Stefere Jewerly.
The high-neck feathered gown by Thom Browne encircled the rapper’s head comes with a train extended to full ten feet and required five people to help carry it up the red carpet steps.
4. 22 year-old sweetheart, Zendaya, brought a taste of fairytale and pixie dust to the Met Gala red carpet when her Tommy Hilfiger gown lit up at the wave of the wand held by Law Roach, who acted as her fairy godmother.
5. The Kardashians and Jenners definitely killed the red carpet this year (more like almost every year). All of their outfits are stunning, especially Kim’s “emerging from the ocean” wet look, but I think the matching sister outfits of the Kylie & Kendall Jenner definitely win – and actually sticking to the theme for the first time! The show-girl inspired dress from Versace definitely killed the fashion department.
6. “Jared Leto Carries His Own Head at 2019 Met Gala” – the perfect headline on Billboard to sum up his shocking outfit this year.
Leto was a showstopper as he entered by carrying his decapitated wax-like replica of his own head as a clutch while wearing a Gucci gown. Even Shawn Mendes went like “what on Earth…”
7. Actor Ezra Miller attended Met 2019 in custom Burberry designed by Riccardo Tisci. While his suit was chic, the real deal that stole the limelight was what’s above the neck. Miller carried around a blank-face mask on a stick and underneath it revealed his true face painted with five optical-illusion eyeballs.
View this post on Instagram
Actor #EzraMiller attends this year’s #MetGala in custom #Burberry, designed by #RiccardoTisci. He wears a black pinstriped wool English-fit suit, reimagined with an exaggerated cape detail and a crystal-studded cage corset. Worn with personalised cufflinks and crystal-embroidered brogues. Styled by @jasonrembert . The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 06.05.19 . #MetCamp
8. Katy Perry‘s look at the Met 2019 is lit – literally. This extravagent and elaborated chandelier-inspired dress is designed by Jeremy Scott from Moschino house.
What’s better? The lightbulbs are actually illuminated!
9. The couple is back to where everything started! Priyanka arrived at the gala with Nick Jonas, dressed in a grey-yellow-pink Dior gown. Her entire look appeared to be inspired by “Alice In The Wonderland” – so colourful and theatrical!
10. Billy Porter shuts down Met Gala 2019 red carpet with the most astonishing entrance of being carried in on a litter by six shirtless men wearing gold ornaments. Once he set foot on the groud, he spreded his 10-foot golden wings in a one-piece by The Blonds.
View this post on Instagram
Thank you to all who have taken the past six weeks to make this happen. Thank you to my Creative Director & Stylist @sammyratelle of @rrrcreative for your ability to dream big and for being by my side as we explore this new world. I am living my wildest high fashion dreams. @theblondsny @phillipeblond & @davidblond. There is no one like you. Thank you. For being kind. And fabulous. And glamorous. And snatched!!! I truly felt like a kween today. I will never forget it. @lasonyagunter, you beat this face for the gawds today gurl. Thank you for being my woman. @patmcgrathreal – I cant express enough gratitude for sponsoring our make up today. Mr. @giuseppezanotti – the fact that you created these shoes for me just for this night, is a dream come true. @nicolasputvinski thank you for allowing me to travel in style and designing the killer lewks for my escorts and palanquin. And to my sexy men, thank you for holding papa up . . Creative Director & Stylist for all @sammyratelle for @rrrcreative Agency Styling Assistant: @ashleymarienyc Production Assistant: @estershamailova Custom Look: @theblondsny Custom Shoes: @giuseppezanotti Fine Jewelry: @oscarheyman @andreolifinejewelry @johnhardyjewelry @mordekaiofficial Billy Porter's Make-Up: @lasonyagunter Make-Up Assistant: @mikeyclifton Make-Up provided by: @patmcgrathreal Egyptian Litter & Carrier Designs by: @nicolasputvinski Carriers Make-Up: @facebygoran & @ashleyvictoriamua Mr. Porter's Carriers: @julius_anthony @taureanje @kellenstancil @thejoshdrake @lap_nyc @doniejunior
Safe to say, these are some of my picks that adhered to the theme perfectly. Some of them are flamboyant while some are outrageous and hilarious, the embodiment of “camp”. What are some of your favourite looks? Do comment down below and let me know!
Disclaimer: All photos are from Vogue.